Friday, September 7, 2007

The St. Louis Basilica, a marvel of art!




Tim and I went to the Basilica today located near Central West End. The structure was built in 1907 and the inside is filled with amazing Byzantine mosaic art. The pictures do not give this masterpiece justice...it's a must see. It's the largest mosaic art piece in the world. It's also the largest basilica in the US. And it was free. We also went through the mosaic museum downstairs to learn how they built it.


This is a side prayer area.
Every wall and ceiling was covered with mosaic artwork designed by Europeans starting in 1924 and they finished it in 1988.
The work was not constant. The artists stopped working during WWII and in the 70's.
Small glass window panes on the sides of the main room.

dome ceiling
(narthex ceiling)
They joined 3 by 5 mosaic sheets putting them together like a puzzle covering the whole section of a dome ceiling, wall, arch way, etc.

archway on right side of main cathedral room


another archway

1 comment:

Sunshine Eyes said...

Wow! I love this place!! I saw it with Deborah (and Kat? - no I think Kat was working) when visiting St Louis for the first time few years ago. I was AMAZED by the mosaics. They literally covered EVERYTHING. Incredibly beautiful. Glad you're checking out the sites before your big move! :)