Saturday, June 23, 2007

Reunion with Teammates of ELIC

The school year of 1999-2000 I spent one year in China teaching English with ELIC, English Language Institute of China. It was a tremendous experience and life changing year. I was on a team of 11 people including myself. I spent my 22 Birthday, most memorable, climbing the Great Wall and getting an ice cream from McDonald's in Bejing. I taught 6 classes in Grade 5 and 2 Kindergarten classes. My favorite pass time was to spend time with the teachers who spoke better English. I became really close with two of the teachers and miss them terribly.

Three of my teammates came to my wedding which was a special treat. I was honored that Betty flew from California and Amanda flew from southern Florida. Jeremy was my team leader and he currently works here in St. Louis in the Admissions office at Covenant Seminary. I wish I was able to talk to them more but that is the nature of a wedding. Being in China, I used to tell my Chinese teacher friends that I was sure I would marry sooner than I did. They would tell me, "email me and I will send you a red "Chi pow" - traditional dress. Red is the color of their wedding dresses. I responded with much delight and always wanted to fulfill that wish by wearing the Chi pow during the reception. Well, seven years passed, I have lost contact with my teachers, and honestly forgot under the stress of only 3 months preparation time.


Left to Right: Betty, Emmalee, Amanda

Thanks Betty and Amanda for making that year a treasure and thank you for staying in touch. I love you guys. And mostly, thank you for your prayers and support. Best wishes to both of you.
Jeremy, thanks for being a dear faithful brother. Best wishes on your family and adventures to come.


Left to Right: Jeremy, Betty, Amanda

1 comment:

tiffany said...

Hi, my name is Tiffany. You don't actually know me. I was looking up info on the ELIC program besides that which the website offers to get a good idea of what the program is all about and maybe read about some of the experiences coming out of doing the program. I came across your page. I am researching the program and am very interested in teaching through them coupled with the tuition free masters program. I would love to hear any reflections or feedback from your experience teaching in China through ELIC. You can respond at my email at swtdrmr908@aol.com I appreciate any advice. Thank you for your time.