Friday, June 22, 2007

Memorial Weekend in Chicago

A spontaneous trip to Chicago was in order once we heard that my dear friend Ruth Nichols, maid of honor, has never been to Chicago. She had the weekend free and Tim and I love going to visit his parents who live in Wheaton. So the opportunity was irresistible. The senior Padgetts graciously agreed on extreme short notice to allow us to come up, visit, and tour Chicago.



We introduced Ruth to Chicago pizza, Chicago dog, Chicago architecture, Navy Pier, the Bean, Millennium Park, Grant Park, Lake Michigan (first time she saw the Great Lakes), the large fountain that was captured in our favorite movie Return to Me and a few museums.


View from ferris wheel at Navy Pier
Silly mirrors that distored Tim's forearm.
I am taking the picture with the flash and
Ruth is holding the blue bottle.
Check out our short legs. Ha, Ha
Inside Navy Pier Mall
--------------------------------
We walked, walked, walked and walked everywhere that day. Thankfully the pain in our feet was distracted by all the splendor we saw. After 6.5 hours of walking we finally realized we were tired and ready to go home. Tim and Ruth were great troopers and adventurers. We packed our lunches and after hours of exploring, for dinner we ate a Chicago dog near the Bean. I told Ruth that it would be a normal hot dog if she didn't put all the fixings on it. Ruth has particular tastes so to enforce this was imperative. This hot dog is not a Chicago dog without all the dressings. She LOVED it with much delight!

Ruth and I at Buckingham Fountain
Ruth and I at the Bean
Yummy Chicago dog, fully loaded.
--------------------------------------
The next day, we went to the Field Museum, a history museum, and looked at a several displays. Every time I go to that museum, I can never see it all and still have not. Our day was cut short to prepare for dinner before we left Chicago to return to the real world. We grilled steak, potatoes, veggies and enjoyed dinner outside. We topped off the evening with vanilla ice cream with fresh blueberries and strawberries. Late Monday we drove back to St. Louis.
Padgetts and senior Padgetts overlooking Chicago.
This was the Egyptian exhibit were kids are supposed to feel the weight of the one ton block which built the pyramids. We really did make it budge...honestly, or it slipped a vertebrae in my spine.

No comments: