Monday, November 19, 2007

Body Worlds 3


TOTALLY INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you who do not know, I have a Science degree and used to teach Anatomy as well as work in Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab. I am completely fascinated with the muscles, bones, and some organs (heart, lungs, and skin). In Macon, I watched an open heart surgery, standing right above the patients head. Watching the lungs breath while the chest was spread open was exhilarating. Tim would have passed out. He hates blood.

My sweet husband treated me to seeing this exhibit on Saturday afternoon at the Science Center here. It's an anatomical exhibit of real human bodies. This exhibit travels all over the world. It contains real human bones, muscles and organs that have been plastinized, they go through this plastination process that allows them not to decay. Tim was such a trooper with my excitement. I was like a little kid in an amusement park, running circles around him. Well, kind of like how he gets when we go into the History museum in Chicago. He told me that he was glad I was there to explain things to him because otherwise it was just a bunch of muscles and bones. I was able to explain to him what they do and how those specific muscles move the body while running, chewing, kissing, throwing, sitting, breathing, etc.

It's a must see even for those who are not Anatomy guru's like me.

2 comments:

Pip said...

I'm curious as to your views on the exhibit from an ethical point-of-view after having seen it (and having a scientific background). What did you make of it?

debchastain said...

I've really wanted to see that! I have heard it is truly amazing. I missed it when it was in Denver. I hope that Tim enjoyed it too. Hope things are going well as you get ready for the big move!!