Monday, September 1, 2008

August Birthday

Mom and dad were able to come through on their way home from Minnesota. They enjoyed a month trip going to mom's 50th class reunion, seeing family and friends, and enjoying adventures of kayaking on Lake Minnetonka.


My parents gave me a glider for my birthday. Wow! It has been perfect because our couch swallows me up. I sink in and it's harder to breathe when I slouch now. I had been sitting on our dinning room chairs for about 1 week. We were surprised last Monday with a large box at the front door. Tim put it together and captured my expressions as I sat in it. It's amazing what a chair does to your emotions and well being. I LOVE IT!!!!!! Thanks mom and dad!


The Padgetts have heard me mention desires for a stock pot for months now. I want to cook pasta and chili in something deeper than what I have. So...to my surprise they gave me a deep, heavy bottom stock pot that has 2 different types of steamers in it. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Thanks mom and dad Padgett! Haven't used it yet, but the time will be soon.




We went out to eat at a Chinese restaurant for my birthday dinner with the Padgetts. I haven't celebrated my birthday with family in about 4-5 years so it was nice to be near other family members.




On Saturday, Tim played a surprise day for me. We enjoyed a relaxing morning. As we were waking up, the baby was kicking like crazy. Tim said the baby was doing a birthday dance for me. Tim also grabbed his cell phone and put it on my belly (advised by my cousin Alice) and we watched it jiggle. We both laughed and enjoyed playing with the baby. Then he went to the store for supplies to cook me dinner. About noon we went to a near by park and sat under the shade of a gorgeous tree, ate a picnic lunch and watched the birds and fountains in the pond. He brought along a sketch pad and pencils to do some drawing but instead we enjoyed talking about the baby and parenthood. We took a 20 min. nap outside...ahhhhhhh! The breeze was perfect.

We left there because I had a 3pm appointment for a pedicure that Tim bought for me. It was great...it's getting harder to groom my own feet now. No polish though...can't handle the smells or chemicals. It was great! Then we came home and I finished registering for baby things as Tim walked back and forth from the grill to the stove as he cooked me a surprise dinner.



It was grilled chicken with a massive portobella mushroom (which marinated in Balsamic vinegar for a couple of hours) with cheese melted on that. He squeezed 3 fresh lemons in a pot and sauteed spinach. Yum-ola! Made rice and sliced fresh tomatoes from Annalisa's garden. Mmm! Mmm! Mmm! It was one of the best meals I have had in a long time.



Then he took me to a Greek festival in a nearby town. It was great. We have never been to a Greek fest together. They had rides for the kids, tons of food, music and special folk dances from the islands. We also enjoyed looking at the book store, etc. since both of us have taken Greek. It wasn't too Greek to us, ha! I thought about getting a small beginners children Greek book but I already have one that Aunt Marlys gave me years ago.





To end the night, Tim bought me a Greek cinnamon cream cake as my birthday cake. Wow...it was moist and extremely succulent.

Thanks to everyone for the fun phone calls and messages...I loved them. And always for your prayers. Thanks for celebrating with me. This will be a great 31st year with friends, family and a new edition. Love you guys!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Happy Birthday!!!

It's so fun to read about this 'hidden' romantic side of Tim. I'm so impressed - go Tim! :)

Katy Bowser said...

I'm so glad your birthday was delightful! Way to go, Tim- we're going to invite ourselves up for dinner while it's still grilling season!
I can't wait to see this little one. I haven't been writing, but I have been following your blog. How sweet to see you two get ready- come little one!

debchastain said...

happy birthday! sounds like it was such a wonderful day (well done tim!). and a big yeah for a chair that you actually enjoy sitting in!! prop those feet up! :0)

Matt Simmons said...

I can totally identify with being happy about receiving cookware for your birthday, as awful as some people might find it. A good stock pot is worth its weight in gold! Wait until you cook your turkey bones into broth in that puppy!
Glad the baby bump trick worked, but let the record show it was a REMOTE I recommended-- try that! God Bless and remember, Dec. 5th!
love, Alice